tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 11:13:49 2003

Re: "je" ('also') between verb and subject or after subject?

lay'tel Sivten:
> >>i found only two examples from tkd(5.3)/kgt(p182)/tkw(none) where "je" is
> >>used to mean 'also'. in both of these examples there is no separate
> subject.
> >>the sentences end with prefixed verbs.

qaleghpu' je I also saw you. I saw you too.

"As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous: 'I and others
saw you' or 'I saw you and others'. The exact meaning is determined by
context." (TKD 55)

Dargh vIqem je
I'll bring tea also. CK

jIghung je
I am also hungry. PK

jI'oj je
I am also thirsty. PK

pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
Glory to you and your house.
("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly.") KGT

>lay'tel SIvten:
> >> *German* Hol vIjatlh jIH je.
>
>Quvar:
> > I think it should be
> > {*German* Hol vIjatlh je jIH}

We have an example with an emphatic pronoun from ST6:

notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming.

So it seems that Quvar may be right (assuming the actress read Okrand's
line correctly).

Personally, I've always followed lay'tel Sivten's example in the past, but
now I'll have to re-think that.  Actually examining the canon can be
surprising!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons