tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 08:35:48 2003

Re: Is the language too bound for its own good? (was Re: Klingon - Terminolog...

Bringing the language to the public consciousness and expanding the
vocabulary are two entirely different things.

If you go expanding the vocabulary with your own ideas, you'll have a BIGGER
fringe language, not a more popular language.

I'm not interested in Klingon role-play.  I don't dress up as a Klingon, nor
do I hold Klingon values.  I just like the language.  But what we do will
not be dead because the language isn't expanded for people who do these
things.  It stays alive by our efforts at keeping it alive, with
publications and meetings and interviews and so forth.  As long as we're
USING the language, it's alive.  So stop lamenting the fact that you can't
say "taco" in Klingon, and go out and SPEAK!

Hmm.  Maybe that should be a new slogan or something: yIjatlh!  yIruch!  Or
how about: bIvIng 'e' yImev!  yIjatlh!  yIruch!

SuStel
Stardate 3533.3