tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 17:35:17 2003

Re: Pun time

captain kalaa:

>to boot).  No matter how much you know, spoiling
>someone's fun by telling them they shouldn't be
>looking for puns is just boorish and in bad taste.

I understand what you say. I also enjoyed these puns when I started to learn Klingon back in 1995.
Somebody told me "Puns are fun; but don't learn puns; you will be stuck with them forever."

And he was right.
I know almost ... let's say .. I dunno, maybe 80 % of all vocabulary plus all the grammar. aaaaand I
know the puns. And they really are no help in speaking klingon - it's even bothering sometimes
when you try to make a long sentence, and half of the words are related to some crazy pun.

In the beginning, this certainly is fun, one knows a hundred words, and almost the same amount of
puns. But after a while... Are you going to learn 3000 words  PLUS  3000 puns ??

It's better to use your time to learn grammar.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH.

Back to archive top level