tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 12:43:57 2003

Re: Pun time

I have a problem with one of the answers to this
thread.  Yes, I agree that when we are learning a
language (tlhIngan Hol or not) we should at first
concentrate on learning the ordinary standard
language, then proceed on to more challenging things.
However, the person who made the comment seems to
forget the main reason most of us Want to learn
t'InGan, for the sheer joy of knowing it.

I took three years of French in high school.  My first
year teacher was brilliant, funny, and found ways to
make our learning fun.  The second year teacher was a
pedantic, ponderous bore (and a native-born Parisian
to boot).  No matter how much you know, spoiling
someone's fun by telling them they shouldn't be
looking for puns is just boorish and in bad taste.