tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 10 15:51:18 2003

Re: Epithets and Curses

Susan Farmer:
> > Epithet is an "added to" part of a name -- doesn't have to be insulting.
> > "the Conqueror," "the Lion-Heart," "Bastard of Saxony" were all epithets.

Darren M. Slade, the "Klingon Warrior":
>My dictionary says nothing about this at all.  I've always known the term
>"epithet" applied to insults only.  I'm not sure if "added to" is
>accurate, but we can take your word for it.  Where did you get that
>definition from anyway?

You're both right.  From "Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary":

Main Entry: ep·i·thet
Pronunciation: 'e-p&-"thet also -th&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin epitheton, from Greek, from neuter of epithetos added,
from epitithenai to put on, add, from epi- + tithenai to put -- more at DO
Date: 1579
1 a : a characterizing word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of
the name of a person or thing b : a disparaging or abusive word or phrase c
: the part of a taxonomic name identifying a subordinate unit within a genus
2 obsolete : EXPRESSION
- ep·i·thet·ic /"e-p&-'the-tik/ or ep·i·thet·i·cal /-ti-k&l/ adjective

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level