tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 24 13:38:51 2003

Re: Drinking songs

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Se'noj le'umaS wrote:
> Comrades in death, in death we live!
> Drink up, my brothers, tomorrow we give!
> Death to the humans! Death to the foe!
> Death to the Romulans! Strike a deadly blow!
>
> This may be a fun one to translate. I can get:
>
> HeghDaq juppu', HeghDaq mayIn!
> Huch tlhutlh, loDnI'wI', wa'leS manob!
> tera'nganpu'vaD Hegh Danob! jaghvaD Hegh Danob!
> romuluSnganpu'vaD Hegh Danob! yImupqu'!
>
> The last two lines seem a bit long, though.

They can be simplified with the verb form of { Hegh } --

Hegh romuluSngan wIneH!
"We want Romulans to die."

Or even

HeghnIS romuluSngan
"Romulans need to die."

The plural suffix isn't really necessary, I don't think.

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
                "That's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Back to archive top level