tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 15:30:14 2003

Re: KLBC

ja' ngabwI':
>How would one translate "Klingon is the galaxy's fastest-growing language"?

qIbDaq tlhIngan Hol ghurmeH Do tIn law' Hoch tIn puS

"In the galaxy, the Klingon language's increasing velocity is the largest
of all."

>The best I can come up with is this:
>{qIbvamDaq tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' chu' law', Hoch Hol jatlhwI'pu'
>  chu' puS}
>I don't think it's right, because where I'm supposed to have a quality, I
>have a noun, and if that disqualifies it from being a comparative
>construction, then my grammar's wrong.

You have a grammatically correct sentence, but the verb of quality is
{chu'} "be new".  It says "In this galaxy, Klingon language speakers are
newer than all language speakers."  I see what you were going for, though.
You just need to add {law'} as the verb of quality:

qIbvamDaq tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' chu' law' law' Hoch Hol jatlhwI'pu' chu'
law' puS

"In this galaxy, new Klingon language speakers are more numerous than all
new language speakers."

While parseable, the string of verbs is perhaps a bit much for some people.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level