tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 26 09:27:04 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:38:11 +0100
 Quvar valer <[email protected]> wrote:
> The glottal stop added between two vowels to seperate
> them can be seen in many languages: in German "Beamter"
> (official, officer) is pronounced *be'amter*, the
> Turkish word "saat" (hour) is pronounced *sa'at*, a dutch
> example could be "gevarieerd" (various) pronounced
> *gevari'eerd*, "and in English "radioactive" is
> pronounced *radio'active* (not *radiowactive*)

Actually, Dutch "gevarieerd" is pronounced with a [j]
instead of a glottal stop [g3,vari'jI:rt], (the ' and , used
to indicate sec. and prim. stress in this case) (geez, it's
hard to type phonetics in ASCII...). But nonetheless, I
catch your drift. More sounds, more alien.

> Besides, there are so many words in Klingon that are
> similar to each other, how could a klingon know if
> *maroy* is {mara}, *mare*, *marI*, *maro*, *maru*, or
> even *mar*?? [we don't know yet what these words mean, if
> they mean anything at all, but I think I can use this for
> my example] This is too vague for a klingon,
> {mara'oy} though is very clear and definite.

Wouldn't mara's hubby be the only one to use it, though,
tired after coming home from battle, eager to have some
qagh: "maroy/mara'oy, I know you'd better give me my
dinner!" with a hungry yet ambiguous grin on his face.
In that case [maroy] wouldn't cause that much confusion,
since she knows he's addressing her.

Anyhow, I'll stop philosophising on what might be. If it
doesn't sound Klingon, then it doesn't sound Klingon.
Hmmm... what's the heading of this E-mail: New
Member/Syllabification... correction. How on Earth... pardon
me ... how on QonoS did we get to this topic...

--qeyS--

Back to archive top level