tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 24 13:28:57 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

ja' qeyS:
>> the name Mara could become /mara-oy/ --> /maroy/ in fast
>> speech perhaps. I don't know. It just seems more natural
>> than inserting a glottal stop or a /gh/, although a /w/
>> doesn't seem that weird.

ja' SuStel:
>Dajbej ngervam.  vIHarlaH.  DuHbej <maroy>.

DuHbej, 'ach jIpab vIneHmo' jIH, mu'ghom vIlaD. pa' nuja' qonwI': >>Though there are no examples, it is suspected that for those few nouns which end in a vowel,
{'} is inserted before this suffix<<. vaj {mara'oy} vImaS.

Of course, it sounds "possible" to say {maroy} for {mara}+{-oy}. But since we have some information about what is "suspected" - adding a letter - we shouldn't start
to find other theories. Dropping a letter sounds "unklingon" to me.
Perhaps in some Terran languages we know it seems more natural, but in Klingon I think it's very "natural" to add a letter here. Klingons are very strict on their
grammar, so they'd take the noun, and stick the suffix to it. But, unfortunately {maraoy} is not clear on how to be pronounced, and might sound like {marayoy}.
The glottal stop added between two vowels to seperate them can be seen in many languages: in German "Beamter" (official, officer) is pronounced *be'amter*, the
Turkish word "saat" (hour) is pronounced *sa'at*, a dutch example could be "gevarieerd" (various) pronounced *gevari'eerd*, "and in English "radioactive" is
pronounced *radio'active* (not *radiowactive*)

Besides, there are so many words in Klingon that are similar to each other, how could a klingon know if *maroy* is {mara}, *mare*, *marI*, *maro*, *maru*, or
even *mar*?? [we don't know yet what these words mean, if they mean anything at all, but I think I can use this for my example] This is too vague for a klingon,
{mara'oy} though is very clear and definite.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level