tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 24 13:52:11 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

Quvar valer <[email protected]> wrote:
> ja' qeyS:
>>> the name Mara could become /mara-oy/ --> /maroy/ in fast
>>> speech perhaps. I don't know. It just seems more natural
>>> than inserting a glottal stop or a /gh/, although a /w/
>>> doesn't seem that weird.

But this is Klingon...  Glottal stops seem pretty natural to
Klingons, seeing how many words include them, and explicitly,
unlike English.

> The glottal stop added between two vowels to seperate them can
> be seen in many languages: in German "Beamter" (official, officer)
> is pronounced *be'amter*, the Turkish word "saat" (hour) is
> pronounced *sa'at*, a dutch example could be "gevarieerd" (various)
> pronounced *gevari'eerd*, "and in English "radioactive" is
> pronounced *radio'active* (not *radiowactive*)

For me, I tend to feel the vowels slide into each other without a
real glottal stop; I guess it depends on how you define it...  I
tend to think of the commonly given examples "bottle" and "ladder"
in fast speech, where I can actually "feel" the glottal stop, which
I don't feel when I say "radioactive".  Hmm...
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected] [NEW!]  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||