tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 22 18:51:17 2003

RE: KLBC:{ben}

> And besides, since we are talking about the age of somebody, the
> {bogh} MUST have happened in the PAST.

Not necessarily.  A young couple talking about the family their going to
have.

But this brought a question to mind..
Born yet or not, a boy is under 16; after 16 he can get his drivers'
license.
How would one say something like "When he will have been born 16 years ago,
he can get his drivers' license."?
Would putting /wa'maH jav ben/ in there put the whole sentence in the past,
or just the birth, relative to the implied future time frame?

*/wa'maH jav ben bogh(pu')DI', Duj chIj net chaw'./
*"When he has been born 16 yrs ago, he will be allowed to drive."
*"When he was born 16 yrs ago, he was allowed to drive" (as an infant)

With time stamps functioning the way we know them, how do we specify a
future age?

DloraH

Back to archive top level