tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 15 08:50:05 2003

Re: parmaqqay vs bang

>Alright, can the words <parmaqqay> and <bang>
>be used interchangeably, or are there subtle differences in
>the meanings that I'm just not seeing?

<parmaqqay> seems to be more narrow in meaning.  I would feel comfortable
saying that Dulcinea was Don Quixote's <bang>, but not that she was his
<parmaqqay>.  Calling someone your <parmaqqay> indicates that there is
actually a <parmaq>, a romantic relationship, between the two of you, while
<bang> carries no such restriction.

>Also, to say something like "chocolate milk"
>
>would one say
>
><yuch nIm>
>
>or
>
><nIm yuch>

I would say <yuch nIm>.  As some on this list express the nature of the
noun-noun construct, of all milks, this is the one having to do with
chocolate.

>~naHQun

Sangqar