tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 12 08:20:44 2003

Re: object of {ra'}

> What's the object of {ra'} "command"?
>
>    yIHoH 'e' vIra'
>    yIHoH, qara'

Canon for /ra'/:

qara'DI'      	 as soon as I command you

qara'pa'      	 before I command you

cha yIbaH qara'DI'
qara'DI' cha yIbaH    	Fire the torpedoes at my command.  [p. 62]

chay' jura'  			 What are your orders? (How do you command us?)

[Korrd: petIv'egh.  qara'qu'
  Enjoy yourselves.  That's an order.]

qIvo'rIt toQDuj 'oH tlhIngan wo' Duj pagh'e'.  ra' qarghan HoD.  DujvamDaq
tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI'
tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS.

The Imperial Klingon Vessel Pagh is a K'Vort-class Bird-of-Prey under the
command of Captain Kargan.  It has the best weapons and some of the finest
warriors in the Klingon fleet.
<<<

These all look like the person/thing commanded is the object; not the action
they are to take.

> Does anyone know how to use {ruch}? We have the canon curse {targhlIj
> yIngagh yIruch} "Go mate with your Targ!", then
> the following must be correct: {yIHoH yIruch} "Go kill him!"

I would think so.  I've also used it for things like during a game, "Your
turn." /yIruch/

> I've also been thinking about the length of {leng} "voyage".
> If someone has been travelling for many days, then I'd say {leng nI'}.
> And if the trip was not so long, but the distance was
> very huge, I'd call it {leng tIq}. What do you say?

That's how I been using it.

DloraH

Back to archive top level