tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 07 14:13:56 2003

Tao Te Ching Chp. 12

12K

mIn leghHa'moH rItlh nguvqu'[A].
teS QoyHa'moH wab chuSqu'.
jat mumHa'moH Soj tlhorghqu'.
yab QubHa'moH chon 'Iqqu'.
tIq jotHa'moH mIp 'Iqqu'.

vaj DujDaj voq yajchu'wI', mInDaj voqHa'.
DujDaj qIm, mInDaj qImHa'.

12E

Too much [B] color dazzles the eye.
Too much noise deafens the ear.
Too much flavor deadens the taste.
Excessive hunting disturbs the mind.
Excessive wealth disquiet the heart.

Therefore the sage trusts his instincts, not his eyes.
He heeds the former, ignores the latter.

[A]: I realize that the emphatic rover {-qu'} is "usually translated as
'very' " (TKD, p.49).  However, it would seem that before we discovered
{'Iq} and {tlhoy}, {-qu'} was occasionly used in the sense of "too (=to an
excessive degree)":

      tera'ngaDvaD romuluS HIq jabQo'. HoSghajqu'.
      They won't serve Romulan ale to Terrans. Too potent. [CK]

[B]: The Chinese version speaks of 5 colors, 5 sounds and 5 flavors. These
five-fold classifications are grounded in the theory of five agents or
elements. Since no such classifications exist in Klingon, I decided to use
"too much" instead of "five", even though this means focusing on the
intensity rather than the diversity of color(s), sound(s) and flavor(s).
Besides, using "vagh" might actually be confusing since Klingon seems to
distiquish 4 basic colors, 3 flavors and 9 tones.

'ISqu'