tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 28 10:18:22 2003

Mae West quote

"Why don't you come up and see me sometime?"

or the actual quote,

"Why don't you come up sometime 'n' see me?"

This will require a recast. A BIG recast.
This is where speaking Klingon becomes more like an art (DloraH and SuStel, in particular, have demonstrated abilities far beyond mine in this area.)
It must be decided what elements of the meaning of the sentence you wish to convey.
In this quote, West seems (to me) to be saying, "Captain Cummings, at the time of your choosing, I am requesting that you ascend these stairs and see me in my room."
What do YOU, as the translator, wish to convey? You could, conceivably, translate all of this, and mash it into a sentence, but it would be long, and lack the brashness that the quote carries to those familiar with the original context (She Done Him Wrong, 1933).

Now my suggestion:
{cholegh DaneHDI', HIghoS!}
"When you want to see me, approach me!"

Not a very good one, I'll confess. It doesn't convey the idea of ascension, or that the seeing action should take place in West's room, and it is phrased as a command, not a request. But it does convey the idea that this future meeting is to take place at the time of the listener's choosing, and that the listener needn't be shy about this meeting.

I hope this helps.

--ngabwI'
HovpoH juHDaq:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/