tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 04:45:53 2003

Re: Mae West quote

ja' ngabwI':
> "Why don't you come up and see me sometime?"
> or the actual quote,
> "Why don't you come up sometime 'n' see me?"
>
 > This will require a recast. A BIG recast.

jIQochbe'qu'.

> In this quote, West seems (to me) to be saying,
> "Captain Cummings, at
> the time of your choosing, I am requesting that you
> ascend these stairs
> and see me in my room."
> Now my suggestion:
> {cholegh DaneHDI', HIghoS!}
> "When you want to see me, approach me!"

The English word "see" has several different meanings,
one of which is "visit socially". I'm not familiar
with the context, but I'm guessing (I might be wrong)
that this is the meaning in the quote. However, "see"
does not mean "visit" in all languages. I don't have
TKD, so please tell me what it says about {legh}. My
first guess was that {legh}, logically, would mean
"perceive with the eye". Shouldn't we use something
like {Such} instead?

}}:-) mulwI' (formerly known as JR)