tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 11:33:45 2003

RE: 'aH tIQ

> If I had said "If angry mobs (plural) could think" then yes that could be
> confusing.  If all angry mobs could think then where is the rare
> event?  But what I wrote was
>
>          QublaHchugh ghom'a' QeH vaj qubbej wanI'vetlh.
>
>          "If an angry crowd (singular) could think, then that would be a
> rare    event."
>
> The sentence mentions only the one hypothetical event of an angry crowd
> thinking.  It is because angry mobs are not usually capable of thinking
> that makes it a rare event when they do.

That klingon sentence can be singular or plural.
It is not unambiguously singular.

I have no problem at all with your sentence.  It is grammatical and it does
mean what you say it does.  But you have to admit, /wanI'vetlh/ COULD also
refer to the act of looting, which was the first thought that came to my
mind, and it did make sense, so I didn't re-analyze the sentence.

DloraH

Back to archive top level