tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 10:59:57 2003

Re: 'aH tIQ

ja' SuSvaj:
>...what I wrote was
>
>         QublaHchugh ghom'a' QeH vaj qubbej wanI'vetlh.
>
>         "If an angry crowd (singular) could think, then that would be a
>rare    event."

That is *exactly* how I understood it from the beginning.

  QublaHbe'law' ghom'a' QeH.  chaq QublaH, 'ach...
  QublaHchugh ghom'a' QeH vaj qubbej wanI'vetlh.

>The reason that /vetlh/ seems intuitively correct here is that since an
>angry mob thinking is such a rare event, then it is a "far off"
>possibility.  Of course intuitive guesses can get you into trouble.  But it
>seems right to me.

I've often had people give me odd looks due to my "intuition" about -vam
and -vetlh, so my agreement here might not be a great thing...

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level