tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 12:00:48 2003

RE: 'aH tIQ

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, DloraH wrote:
> >          QublaHchugh ghom'a' QeH vaj qubbej wanI'vetlh.
> >
> >          "If an angry crowd (singular) could think, then that would be a
> > rare    event."
> >
> > The sentence mentions only the one hypothetical event of an angry crowd
> > thinking.  It is because angry mobs are not usually capable of thinking
> > that makes it a rare event when they do.
>
> That klingon sentence can be singular or plural.
> It is not unambiguously singular.

Ahah!  Yes, this is key.  This is why I think it's often helpful to
translate your own work in emails, so that people learning the language
can correlate complex concepts to the Klingon translation, and so we can
better correct any mistakes people make.  ;)

I'll drop the point now.
DaH vIghoHbe'choH.

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
  "Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there
          is no path and leave a trail." -- Muriel Strode

Back to archive top level