tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 17 11:20:31 2003

Re: 'aH tIQ

>  The event is not "if a mob can
> >
> > Now THAT sounds clunky to me.  If you start out by saying "mobs can think"
> > then it sounds like you are making a blanket statement that mobs are in
> > fact able to think.  If so, then why is the event rare?
>
>That's exactly my point.  The two-sentence version IS klunky

So your point is that your way of saying it...is clunky?

>, but it's
>effectively identical to what you had written.\

No it's not what I had written.

>So, first off, your intent truly was to say that it was rare for *mobs to
>think*, right?  Therefore, DloraH's impression that /wanI'vetlh/ referred
>to the looting was incorrect...  Correct?

The only event in the sentence is the act of the crowd thinking.  So that
is what /wanI'/ was referring too.  If I had meant looting, I would have
said looting.  I am truly bewildered by the controversy this sentence has
generated.  Especially considering that as far as I can tell it containes
no errors.  /wanI'/ is a noun.  /vetlh/ is a noun suffix.  Therefore
/wanI'vetlh/ is perfectly acceptable.  There are many ways to phrase the
idea.  If you don't like the way I wrote it then you are free to phrase
another way.

SuSvaj

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level