tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 15 14:21:06 2003

Re: 'aH tIQ

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, David Trimboli wrote:
> > From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> > > I tend to kringe when I see "wanI'vetlh".  :)
> >
> > I think we've seen several sentences from Okrand that have words like
> > {wanI'} and {ghu'} used in ways different than you'd comfortably use
them in

> I kringe because I've seen, many times, people use "wanI'vetlh" to hack
> around the English version of "is".  I don't like using "that event" to
> refer to something else *in the same sentence*, especially if "that event"
> is the subject of a clause.  /-vam/ and /-vetlh/ seem to be a sticky point
> that are either underused or overused.  ;)

Oh, well if it's a problem with /-vam/ and /-vetlh/, that's different.  You
could easily remove it here:

QublaHchugh ghom'a' qubbej wanI'
If a crowd is able to think, the event is certainly rare.

Mind you, I don't necessarily think this is the best way to express this,
but I don't have a problem with it.  Depending on what was meant (I'm
starting to lose track!), I might use:

qubbej QublaHchu'bogh ghom'a'
A crowd which can think clearly is certainly rare.

> Thus, "QublaHchugh ghom'a', vaj qubbej wanI'vetlh" seems like a kludge --
> IFF /wanI'vetlh/ is referring to the /ghom'a'/.  If it wasn't, then yes,
> my comment is unnecessary.

I don't think it was.  /wanI'vetlh/ seems to be referring to the crowd being
able to think, not to the crowd itself.

SuStel
Stardate 3287.5

Back to archive top level