tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 30 14:10:43 2002

Re: Do'meHghach

> > > SoS chIm 'oH puq SoS lIw'e' net ghItlh.
>
> >In what klingon source is this written?
> >This human sentence can't be used to determine how a klingon uses chIm.
> >I'm not saying chIm can't be used this way; I'm saying we don't know.
>
> It comes from TNG "Parallels", where Worf asked Deanna Troy to be
> Alexander's *So'chIm* in the event that anything happened to him.
>
> Although it was spelled *So'chIm* in the captions, most have assumed the
> writers meant *{SoS chIm} - though why they wanted to call her an
> "empty/deserted/uninhabited mother" is beyond me.
>
> Was this a look-up error?  {chIl} "lose, misplace" is listed next to
> {chIm}: Were they trying to say (ungrammatically, as usual) *{SoS chIl}
> a "lost" mother?

We all know we can't always break words apart like this.
I've always thought of it as nothing but So'chIm, a word all of it's own.

The word for "animal" does not mean "Come on, we fire them."
Does "data transceiving device" really mean "It's being smooth"?

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level