tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 30 12:37:14 2002

Re: Do'meHghach

peHruS:
> > SoS chIm 'oH puq SoS lIw'e' net ghItlh.

DloraH:
>In what klingon source is this written?
>This human sentence can't be used to determine how a klingon uses chIm.
>I'm not saying chIm can't be used this way; I'm saying we don't know.

It comes from TNG "Parallels", where Worf asked Deanna Troy to be
Alexander's *So'chIm* in the event that anything happened to him.  (To be
asked to become one is supposedly a great honor, like nearly every Klingon
personal request! <g>)  Obviously this is a sort of surrogate
mother/godmother.

Although it was spelled *So'chIm* in the captions, most have assumed the
writers meant *{SoS chIm} - though why they wanted to call her an
"empty/deserted/uninhabited mother" is beyond me.

Was this a look-up error?  {chIl} "lose, misplace" is listed next to
{chIm}: Were they trying to say (ungrammatically, as usual) *{SoS chIl} a
"lost" mother?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons