tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 30 07:53:59 2002

Re: Return (again)

Am 29.09.2002 08:53:42, schrieb [email protected]:

>I have returned again to try to learn Klingon.
Oh, great. Nice to read you again here. Maybe you remember me. I was gone for a while, too.
But now I'm back :-)

batlh tlhIngan Hol Daghojjaj!

>Is there an error when he says 1200?  It sounds like he's saying 2100 (cha'mach wa' vatlh, not
wa'mach cha' vatlh).
Yes, there's an error. You should visit http://www.klingonska.org, there you find (I think all)
errors "Okrandian Sources".

>Also what happens about fractions?
>I had an idea that tenths would be machHom. so a half would be vagh machHom.
>Is this correct?or is there a different system.
    We know nothing about fractions, besides the word {bID} "half", but that doesn't sound like
mathematics (now everyone disagrees, an they're right, it is math). I think that Maltz gave us
the word while describing a "half deck" {bID choQ}, not while talking about mathematics.
    There is a suffix for multiples (-logh) like in {cha'logh} "twice, two-times", so maybe there
is a unknown suffix for divisions? Noone knows. (In english, there is something like that: the "-
th").

DloraH said:
>We don't know how to do [fractions] but we do have the word /vI'/ "decimal
>point", and the word /vatlhvI'/ "percent"
That's right.

>Klaa:  ghoSmeH yIpegh.  cha'maHvagh vatlhvI' Hong, QIt yIghoS
> (Stealth approach.  Slow to one-quarter impulse power.)
literally: 25 percent impulse power

>wejvatlh loSmaH loS vI' vagh wej 'uj 'aD Duj
>Length: 120 M
literally: 344.53 'uj
(threehundred fourty four point five three 'uj)

>loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
>Bridge Height: 16.28 M
literally: 46.74 'uj
(fourty six point seven four)

I'm pointing on this because many terran cultures would read this 6.74 as "six point seventy-
four", others say it like in klingon: "six point seven four".

>Thanks.
qay'be' ;-)

>'oghwI'
>Ian Wilkinson