tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 29 11:25:46 2002

RE: Return (again)

> I have returned again to try to learn Klingon.

maj

> I've been listening to the Conversational Klingon CD and have
> been confused by the times.
>
> Is there an error when he says 1200?  It sounds like he's saying
> 2100 (cha'mach wa' vatlh, not wa'mach cha' vatlh).
>
> Later on the 1900 hours (wa'mach Hut vatlh) follows the
> convention I was expecting.

For other beginners that may be watching, here is the section being refered
to:

The word for "hour" in Klingon is {rep}. "Six hundred hours" or six
o'clock in the morning is "six" {jav} plus "hundred" {­vatlh} plus {rep},
altogether it's {javvatlh rep}.

Now, you repeat these time expressions, after you hear each one the second
time:

Noon or "twelve hundred hours":
	{cha'maH wa'vatlh rep}
	{cha'maH wa'vatlh rep}
	{...}

Midnight or "zero hours":
	{pagh rep}
	{pagh rep}
	{...}

Seven p.m. or "nineteen hundred hours"
	{wa'maH Hutvatlh rep}
	{wa'maH Hutvatlh rep}
	{...}
<<<

The part about 1200 hours should be wa'maH cha'vatlh rep.
Nobody is perfect.  This is simply an error.

Also note, the number suffix for the ten's place is -maH, not -mach.

> Also what happens about fractions?
>
> I had an idea that tenths would be machHom. so a half would be
> vagh machHom.  Is this correct?or is there a different system.

We don't know how to do [fractions] but we do have the word /vI'/ "decimal
point", and the word /vatlhvI'/ "percent"

Some canon examples:

Klaa:  ghoSmeH yIpegh.  cha'maHvagh vatlhvI' Hong, QIt yIghoS
 (Stealth approach.  Slow to one-quarter impulse power.)

ngongmeH wa' DujDaq nuHmey nISbe'bogh So'wI' jomlu'pu'.  HovpoH Hut vagh
cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'.
 A cloaking device which didn't disrupt weaponry was installed in one
experimental ship demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6, but this ship was
destroyed.

wejvatlh loSmaH loS vI' vagh wej 'uj 'aD Duj
Length: 120 M

loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
Bridge Height: 16.28 M

wejvatlh SochmaH vagh SaD cheb'a'mey ngI' Duj
Mass: 8.7 KT

cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu')
2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck)
<<<

This last one, you see we have the word /bID/ "half".

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level