tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 18 10:52:29 2002

RE: Description

>  > > > Gina 'oH pongwIj'e'.  cha'maH ben jIboghpu'.  Doq 'ej wovbe' jIbwIj.
>>  > > cha' Saj vIghaj. "glasses" vItuQ.
>>  >
>>  > And if you understand what we did here, then you are well on your way.
>>
>>  the only part i don't quite understand is the 'e' in pongwIj'e'
>
>In reference to Pronoun-as-Tobe TKD p68 tell us:
>
>"If the subject is a noun, it follows the third-person pronoun (ghaH
>he/she, 'oH it, chaH they, bIH they) and takes the -'e' topic
>suffix (see section 3.3.5)."
>

>This is one of those "just because it says so" rules.
>

>DloraH, BG

DloraH,
i found some comfort in the observation that /-'e'/ is used in the
clause "the child that hit the officer".

yaS qIp puq.
the child hits the officer.

yaS qIpbogh puq'e' vIlegh.
i see the child that hits the officer.

yaS'e' qIpbogh puq vIlegh.
i see the officer, that the child hits.

hm, is /pongwIj'e' 'oH Gina/ a legal sentence?

tulwI',
sts.

Back to archive top level