tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 14 10:42:15 2002

RE: direct / indirect object

> yoSmey HopDaq maghIQ.
>
> My translation for this is: We go on holiday in areas, that are far away.
>
> But why does the author use the prefix ma-?
> yoSmey HopDaq is the indirect object, right?
> So, do you only change the prefix if there's a direct object?

/yoSmey HopDaq/ is a locative.  It describes where the action takes place.

maghIQ  -  We go on a vacation.

where?
yoSmey HopDaq  -  at far away places.

ghIQ doesn't take an object.

maSop  -  "we eat", no object.

'Iwchab wISop  -  "we eat blood pie",  the pie is the object.

yoS HopDaq maSop - "we eat at a far away place", /yoS HopDaq/ is the
locative.

yoS HopDaq 'Iwchab wISop - "we eat blood pie at a far away place", /'Iwchab/
is the object, /yoS HopDaq/ is the locative.

yoS HopDaq jIHvaD 'Iwchab Danob - "you give the blood pie to me at a far
away place", /'Iwchab/ is the object, /yoS HopDaq/ is the locative, /jIHvaD/
is the indirect object.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level