tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 10 16:44:29 2002

Re: tuQ

baQa', QoghIjwIj pubmoH mu'vam!
Gee, this topic makes my brain boil!

>tuQ
>wear (referring to clothes)
okay, transitive, object is cloth:
{mIv vItuQ} = the helmet is on my head
canon KGT 107:
  {mIv je DaS tuQ ra'wI'}
  "The commander wears helmet and boot"
  (idiom meaning that he is in full uniform)

----
>tuQHa'
>take off (referring to clothes)
transitive, object is cloth:
{mIv vItuQHa'} = I take the helmet away from my head ?
tuQHa' sounds more like "unwear", so not wear, or being naked.

Here there is a conflict with {tuQmoH}, which is listed as "put on (clothes)". This looks like the opposite of {tuQHa'moH} "undress" (= take
off clothes).

----
>tuQHa'moH
>undress (someone)
ain't that the same as "take off clothes"? "cause to un-wear"

I think the difference is
 {be' vItuQHa'moH} ? I undress the lady ?
 {mIv vItuQHa'moH} ? I undress the helmet ?
 {jItuQHa''eghmoH} ? I undress myself ?

----
>tuQmoH
>dress (someone) ("cause someone to wear")
TKD: "put on (clothes)"
  {mIv vItuQmoH} I put on my helmet ?
  {mIv vItuQmoH} I put on my helmet ?
  {jItuQ'eghmoH} I dress myself (I cause myself to wear) ?

-------
>All of these are grammatical, and work within the entries given in TKD.
It makes sense like you write it. But not 100% for me :-)

>tlhaqDaq tuQHa'
>he takes off his chronometer
--> tlhaqDaj tuQHa'

DaH jIwuQ.