tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 06 21:12:33 2002

Re: Hoch (was: Names for

From SuStel:

>"quantity nouns."  They act pretty much like numbers.  Another noun that
>acts like this is /'op/.
Yes, I didn't forget this one, I only forgot to write it my mail :-)

>We've also seen what I believe was /vatlh DIS poS cha'maH wejDIch HochHom/
poH

>"most of the 23rd Century" (or something like that), where /HochHom/ came
>after the thing it was modifying.

Just like in your translation:
{vatlh DIS poH 23 HochHom} - "most *OF* the 23rd century"
literally: "the 23rd century's most" (sounds weird like this :-)

>These two examples make me believe that when these "quantity nouns" come
>before the nouns they're modifying, they count the number of instances of
>that noun; if they come after the nouns they're modifying, they indicate the
>portion of a single instance of that noun.
sounds "logic".

>The perennial example:
>
>Hoch chab
>each pie

and:
 {Hoch chabmey}
 "all pies"

>chab Hoch
>the whole pie

equal to:
 {chab naQ}
 "the full, whole, entire pie"
(I think this means the pie is intact, in one piece, while {chab Hoch} sounds like "the pie fell down,
and now the *whole pie* is on the floor" {pumpu' chab naQ, DaH ravDaq chab Hoch Sop targh.} Is that
right?)

>While I feel confident that this is what is going on, it hasn't been
>confirmed by Okrand.

Do'Ha'. Do we have canon for the word {'op}?

Quvar.

Back to archive top level