tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 06 16:21:44 2002

Re: jIchegh

DloraH wrote:
> > Qorwagh rarlu' ghItlhlIj, qar'a'?
>
>-lu' says unspecified subject, but here you have ghItlhlIj in the subject
>place.
>(This is why I went with a simple locative).
>
>"printer" would be ghItlhwI', so the above should be ghItlhwI'lIj.

{ghItlhmeH jan} would be my first choice for "printer (device)", but
{ghItlhjan} and {ghItlhjo'} have been used on this list too.  {ghItlhwI'}
works, but it also means "stylus" and Okrand reminds us that

   The word {ghItlhwI'} (literally, "engraver") is also used for any writing
   implement as well as for any person who writes. (KGT 80)

or even "printer (person)".  Of course, using {-lIj} indicates that you
don't have a person in mind.

>We do have canon of rar.

>nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH tlhIngan nISwI'
>beH'e'.  SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna' ghurmoH
>naQvam.
>
>The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor, attached to an
>extended power supply stock. This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and
>increase the effective range for distance targeting. <<<
>
>With this formula we would write:
>Qorwagh ghItlhwI'lIj je rarlu', qar'a'?

Nope.  Here you need the prefix {lu-}, as in the cited canon:  {Qorwagh
ghItlhwI'lIj je lurarlu'}.  The suffix {-lu'} always trips me up with the
prefixes, too!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons