tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 04 13:54:53 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: QongDaq (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, September 3, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:   QongDaq
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     bed
>
>Additional Notes:
> >From CK, verified in TKW p.40.  Also in KGT.

As used in canon:

   letqu' QongDaq.
   The bed is very hard. CK

"Since Klingons are accommodating of foreigners, guest rooms in hotels do
come equipped with a bed but that it's most often made of the same material
as the floor." (CK)

   QongDaqDaq Qotbe' tlhInganpu'
   Klingons do not lie in bed. TKW

Okrand commented on startrek.klingon (June 1997) that:

   {QongDaq} "could be a normal compound noun"--but the important word
   there is "could": It could be a compound noun IF both {Qong} and {Daq}
   are nouns. We know that {Daq} "place" is a noun; we know that {Qong}
   is a verb ("sleep"); we don't know that {Qong} (presumably "sleep" or
   "sleeping") is a noun. Maybe it is--but until we see it as a noun in
   its own right (that is, in a place in a sentence where nouns occur and
   in a construction where it's not attached to {Daq}) will we know for
   sure. Until that time, it's a good hypothesis, but not a done deal...
   a word like {QongDaq} is evidence that at an earlier stage in the
   language, there may have been a noun {Qong} (meaning "sleep" or
   something similar). Or maybe there was a verb suffix {-Daq} meaning
   "place where one does X". On the other hand, you may have uncovered
   evidence that there is currently a noun {Qong}--it just hasn't been
   attested anywhere else yet, so we should keep our eyes peeled. But
   without further evidence, it's a guess.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons