tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 28 14:36:44 2002

Re: KLBC - TKD 3.2.2

Am 28.10.2002 15:51:21, schrieb "Gina Robertson" <[email protected]>:

>Okay, I'm going to try this by section.
>I feel that I already have 3.1 as everything I've worked
>on thus far has been Simple Nouns.  So I'll move on to 3.2.

>singer
>bomwI'
correct.

>builder
>chenwI' ??? I couldn't find a word for build, [...]
{chen} means "build up, take form". So if you build something, you "cause" it to "take form". When you
get to the verb suffixes, you can read about this suffix in section 4.2.4. "Type 4: Cause". This
suffix is {-moH}. As a funny coincidence, your question for {chen} is explained there:

"Adding this suffix to a verb indicates that the subject is causing a change of condition or causing a
new condition to come into existence.

    {tIjwI'ghom vIchenmoH} <I form a boarding party>
                           ({tIjwI'ghom} <boarding party,>
                           {chen} <take form, take shape>)"

>reader
>laDwI'
maj.

>The teacher helped the children.
>puqpu' QaH ghojmoHwI'
maj.

>The worker suddenly attacked his boss.
>pay' pIn HIv vumwI' ??
>again, I'm not sure as vum is the right word,
It is. {vum} v. "work, toil"

>The other word I considered was baj.
The "work for"-entry for {baj} is only to explain what is meant by "earn".
There's a canon phrase:

   yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'
   Survival must be earned.

So this means that you need to "work for" survival. Got it?

You're doing very well! All your translations are correct. Keep practicing like this, I will help you.
Try the next chapter.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH