tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 26 11:02:05 2002

RE: KLBC - My day

> {ghojmeH} "for learn"
> {jIghojmeH} "for me to learn"
>   +
> {jIghuH} "I prepare for"
>   =
> {jIghojmeH jIghuH}
> "I prepare to learn"
> (literally: "in order to me learn, I prepare")

How about using suffixes.
jIghojrupchoH

> [I must admit I don't know exactly how to use the word {ghuH}, it
> can also mean "be alerted for", maybe someone can give a better
> suggestion]

ghuH can work here, because like the canon says:

may' yIghuH
 Battle Alert!

ropyaH yIghuHmoH
 Alert sick bay!

tlhIngan quv DatIchDI' Seng yIghuH.
 When you insult a Klingon's honor, prepare for trouble.
<<<

When you prepare for/be alert to battle, what do you do?  You gather
together your equipment, suit up.
Alerting sickbay let's them get the equipment out, etc.
So you probably could ghuH for learning.

But as forewarning, if a word has multiple entries:
wej - "three"
wej - "not yet"
EACH entry is a valid definition.

If a single entry has multiple phrases defining it:
Haw' - "flee, get out"
you do not choose which definition you want to use.  You can't use just the
"get out" portion for the sentence "get out the eggs from the fridge."  All
the defining phrases must apply.  The definition is the collective meaning
of all the phrases wrapped together.  Because it's another language/culture
sometimes words don't match up word for word.

Hatlh - "country, countryside"
You can't take just the first word and use it in the sense of "nation".

> >I go to class at 10:28.
> >wa'maH cha'maH chorgh jIjaH <to class>.
>
> "school" - DuSaQ
> "to school" - DuSaQDaq
> "I go" - jIjaH
>   {wa'SaD cha'maH chorgh rep DuSaQDaq jIjaH}
>   "I go to school at 1028 hours"

ghoS, leng, jaH, chegh, paw, paw' (and others) - the object is the
destination.  The locative is the medium in/on which the action takes place.

DuSaQDaq jIjaH - The action of "going" is taking place at school.  It sounds
like I'm wandering the halls.

DuSaQ vIjaH - I am going TO school.

lupwI'Daq DuSaQ vIjaH - I am going to school on a bus.

> >I go to work at 4:30.
> >loS wejmaH jIjaH vum.
> {vum} is a verb meaning "to work, toil". We could describe your
> "work" as a "place to work": {jIvummeH Daq}, but maybe someone else has a
> better idea?

yaH "duty station" is a popular choice.

> >I come home at 9:00 and work on the computer then go to bed.
> >Hut pagh pagh juH jIchegh 'ej De'wI' vum. vaj jIjaH QongDaq.
>
> There is a nice adverb for "then, subsequently" in the sense of
> "and then, after that, by then, subsequently": {ghIq}.
> Adverbs come at the beginning of the sentence.

Again with the multiple definitions;
vaj is "then, thus, in that case, so (adv)".  You can't take just the first
word "then".
vaj jIQong - Thus I went to sleep.
jIDoy'qu' vaj jIQong - I was very tired, then/thus/so I went to sleep.

DloraH, 'utlh

Back to archive top level