tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 16:25:10 2002

Re: Qu'wIjHom

Viktor Horak <[email protected]>:

>Qu'wIjHom
Suffix order:
-Hom #2 -wIj #4

{Qu'HomwIj} "my little task"

>Satlho' 'ISqu', DloraH Quvar je.
>DaH tlhIq'nu jIpong'egh.

Okay, A name is a name. But I would suggest you put the apostrophe behind the vocal: *tlhIqnu'*,
because an apostrophe between two consonants is just not pronouncable.

>tlha'bogh Hoghmey *mailing list* pIjHa jIHtaH.
{pIjHa'} (with an apostrophe) comes usually at the beginning of the phrase.
What's "following weeks"? I think you mean "during some weeks" or so.
For that, {qaStaHvIS} "while happening" is used, like in the phrase from TKW:

  {qaStaHvIS wa' ram loSSaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD}
  "Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man."

{qaStaHvIS Hoghmey puS...}
"during several weeks..."

For "mailing list", there are several translations that are used on thi list, like {*jabbI'ID ghom}
"data transmission group" and {*QIn tetlh} "message list".

That forms your main sentence "I am seldom on the mailinglist":
{pIjHa' tetlhDaq jIH}
The whole sentence:

{qaStaHvIS Hoghmey puS pIjHa' tetlhDaq jIH}

>wejmaH leS puqbe'wI' bogh jIQuch.
{puqbe'wI'} is the subject (the one that's born), so the verb preceeds it:
  {bogh puqbe'wI'} "my daughter will be born"

You're happy, "because" your daughter will be born, you you should say that :-)
add {-mo'} "because" (#9):
  {boghmo' puqbe'wI' jIQuch}
  "I'm happy because my daughter will be born"

>jIghaqbe' wej.
If you mean {wej} as an adverb, it means "not yet", and as any adverb, it comes at the beginning of
the sentence (TKD 5.4):
  {wej jIghaqbe')
  "I don't yet not contribute"

> QaghmeywI' pIj HIlugh:
QaghmeywIj.

> mulugh qatlh, jupwI'.
qayachu'be'.

> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh vIneH.
maj.

It's better you also add in english what you want to say, then it's easier to correct.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level