tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 16:25:11 2002

Re: Learning Project (hopefully)

Greetings!
I am the current Beginners' Grammarian. This means that the people who did it before me have decided
you can trust me to evaluate your work. If you want my attention, you should mark the subject line
with KLBC. Then I'll answer any question you ask me.

"Gina Robertson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks.  I will work on it
> vumjI 'oH??
> or 'oH vumjI

The prefix always come before the verb (that's why it's called "pre"-fix, by the way), this gives you:
  {jIvum} "I work"

Answering your question first:
When {'oH} is the object, you need the prefix for "I-him/her/it" {vI-}.
And the Object comes before the verb:
  {'oH vIlegh} "I see it"

But now you have a little problem with your verb. {vum} means "to work", not "work on s.th.", it's an
intransitive verb (i.e. it cannot have an object).
What do you want to say?
"I will work on it" can mean many things, what is "it"? In english, this is a common phrase and can
mean - in this case - "I will learn klingon", "I will change the text I wrote", "I will work on my
grammar" etc...
Unfortunately, we cannot translate this expression literally, so we need to recast.
I'll give you some examples how it could work:
  {'oH vIDubrup} "I am ready to improve it"
  {vIchoHmoHqang} "I am willing to change it"
  [choHmoH "cause to change", -qang "willing"]

Just ask if you have a question.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH