tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 16:25:10 2002

Re: KLBC

Good use of the KLBC-code. ;-)
I'm ready to answer your questions.

"SIqar" <[email protected]>:

>cha' jIghel
>2 questions
Although the english is not a sentence, in Klingon it should be one.
{jIghel} "I ask" is good, but {cha'} "two" seems a little lost there.
I suggest you add the suffix for multiples {logh}, then it's grammatically correct:
{cha'logh jIghel} "I ask two times"

>how do you say
>'which sentence is correct'
This kind of questions is usually rephrased as "identify the correct sentence"

"be correct" {qar} (v.)
"identify" {ngu'} (v.)

{mu'tlhegh qar yIngu'}
"identify the correct sentence"

>mu'tlhegh jatlhbogh
This means "the sentence which he says".

>{place of living} vIDab jiH
{Dab} "dwell in/at, reside in/at" is a transitive verb, so the place lived at is the object:
   {veng vIDab} "I live in a city."

Since the locative is already included in the word "reside AT, dwell AT", you don't need the locative
suffix #5 {Daq}.

> .... Dab jiH
careful with your typing, in {jIH} you need a capital "I". In Klingon, many words look very alike, so
to avoid confusion, we need to be very strict on that.

Now let's come to your (hidden) third question: Do you need {jIH}?
  {veng vIDab} has the same translation as {veng vIDab jIH}, but when you include the pronoun {jIH},
you can put emphasis on the fact that "I" live in that city, not someone else.

read TKD 5.1.:
"Pronouns may be used as nouns, but only for emphasis or added clarity. They are not required. Thus,
the following sets of sentences are all grammatically correct."

I hope I answered al your question. If you have more, don't hesitate to ask.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level