tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 14 13:07:43 2002

Re: The new word

taD:
>At the qep'a' HutDIch, Marc Okrand visited. I guess he arrived later than
>expected, presumably because of traffic on I-95 (the interstate highway
>between Washington DC and Philadelphia). After Marc and 'angghal had
>talked at the qep'a', 'angghal mentioned that he received a new
>traffic-related word that would appear in the next issue of HolQeD. The
>word, we have learned, is {Hutvagh}.

For those who don't subscribe to HolQeD - and you know who you are! -
{Hutvagh} is described as a noun meaning "too many people or things in a
place all at once".  Okrand added that "the term was used as word play, a
substitution for the more common {Qu'vatlh} which might otherwise be heard
in such situations."

For those interested, we have two other nouns meaning "crowd": {ghom'a'}
and {qev}.  AFAIK Okrand has never explained the difference between these
two.  Conceivably, one could have a *{qev'a'} as well.

Note that {qev} is also a verb meaning "crowd".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level