tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 02 10:45:53 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: yeq (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, October 2, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:   yeq
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     cooperate
>
>Additional Notes:
>Missing from Klingon-English side of TKD, which listed instead {jIj},
>while {jIj} is missing from the English-Klingon side of TKD.

The difference between {yeq} and {jIj} was clarified a bit in KGT (p.159)
in a discussion of the slang word {qang} "always agree with (someone),
always go along with (someone), always cooperate with (someone)":

   The slang term may be found in such sentences as {jIHDaq Daqang} ("You
   always agree with me, you always cooperate with me"; literally, "You pour
   [something] into me"). To say that someone "pours (always agrees)" is
   somewhat derogatory, implying that the agreeing or cooperating may be for
   ulterior motives. Nonslang equivalents of {qang}, though lacking the
   negative connotation, are {reH Qochbe'} ("always agree"), {reH yeq}
   ("always cooperate"), and {reH jIj} ("always be cooperative").

Okrand hasn't used {yeq} elsewhere, but {jIj} appears in:

   ngoDvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'. woQ luSuqmeH jIjpu'
    chaH romuluSngan'e' je.
   To this end, the sisters have acted against Gowron, going as far as to
    work with Romulan factions in order to gain power. S26

and as an element in {yuQjIjDIvI'} and {yuQjIjQa'}, both translated as
"United Federation of Planets".

A possible antonym is {'om} "resist, fend off".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level