tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 02 08:40:09 2002

Re: Hi (and KLBC (still.....))

> nuqDaq bIDablI'
> Where do you live?

Tho grammatically correct, using the -lI' suffix here sounds like the person is
planning to move soon to another city.
The -lI' suffix implies an intended goal, a finishing point.  Sure we all will
die and no longer dwell where we are dwelling, but we're not focusing on that
right now.

TKD p41

  {-lI'} <in progress>

  This suffix is similar to {-taH} <continuous> in that it indicates
that an activity is ongoing. Unlike {-taH,} however, {-lI'} implies
that the activity has a known goal or a definite stopping point.
In other words, it suggests that progress is being made toward
that goal.

    {chollI'} <it is getting closer>
              ({chol} <get close, come near>)

This word would be used for, i.e., a missile approaching a
target, when it is known that the missile has been aimed at
that target. If a missile is getting closer, but its intended
destination is not known, {choltaH} (with {-taH} <continuous>)
would be more appropriate.

    {vIlI'lI'} <I am transmitting (the data)>
               ({lI'} <transmit data to a place>)

This word implies that data are in the process of being
transmitted, but that there is a finite amount of data, so there
will be a definite end to the transmission.
  The suffix {-taH} <continuous> can be used whether there is a
know goal or not. {-lI',} on the other hand, can be used only
when there is an implied goal.
<<<

> AucklandDaq jIDablI'
> I live in Auckland

Again with the -lI' suffix.

The place being dwelled is the object of /Dab/.
Your sentence is grammatical but (to me) it sounds vague, like you're hiding
something.

Auckland vIDab.

(Auckland Dabpu' be'nalwI')

> pIj tetlhvamDaq vIjeSbe'
> I don't participate in the list very often

jeS is defined as "participate", not "participate in", so we don't know if it
can take an object; plus since you have -Daq on tetlhvam, this is a locative
instead of an object anyways; so we need to change the prefix.

pIj tetlhvamDaq jIjeSbe'.

If you want, we also have the adverbial pIjHa' - seldom.

> HIQumnISDI' maqIHchuqchoHlaHlaw'
> Contact me, we might be able to meet...

At first I thought originally the first phrase was not a command "when we
communicate", but the -nIS suffix was still confusing.  "When we need to
communicate"?  Maybe you first wrote "When we communicate...", but then changed
it to "We need to communicate...", but then changed it to a command; and each
time forgot to delete the other parts.
With the command prefix, the suffixes do not work here.
HIQum - "communicate me", hmm, sounds a bit weird.

rI' - "hail"  The same "hail" like in Star Trek.  "Hail that ship, Mr Data."

HIrI' ...

The -choH here seems odd.  "We are apparently able to start meeting eachother
for the first time."

For the "might" part, perhaps you can use chaq "perhaps".

HIrI'.  chaq maqIHchuqlaH.

> KLBC jIratlhba'lI'
> I am still a beginner.

If you're using KLBC as a locative, you forgot the -Daq.  -Daq (and -vo') refer
to physical location; so I don't know if it would work here well.

jIratlhba'lI'  "I am obviously remaining towards an intended goal."

For "beginner", some people use /taghwI'/, some people use /chu'wI'/.

KLBC vIlo' 'e' poQtaH laHwIj
"My skill still demands that I use KLBC."

We're all still learning.  :)

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level