tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 18 21:19:38 2002

RE: QeD De'wI' ngermey

ghItlh DloraH:

>>.. Indeed, I still feel that Okrand
>>might believe we're all a bunch of loonies that he humors with the
>>occasional new word.  I seriously doubt he's developing it actively.

>I have wondered about this a few times.

Oddly, I hadn't really thought about this before.  I suppose I half-believe
myself that the fans who appear at cons _dressed_ like Klingons, with makeup
and masks, and seem to half-believe they _are_ Klingons, are a bit loony.
(Though I admit to a secret desire to show up as a Vulcan, or better a Borg;
I just don't have the build for a Klingon.)

My rationale behind learning Klingon is simply that I've been out of
graduate school for two years trying to pay off some angry student-loan
organizations while the knowledge behind my Biology B.S. grows more out of
date and my brain rusts while I labor in menial jobs.  It's purely a
question of intellectual stimulation.  Nonetheless I admit that I become
frustrated when I think of some simple, useful, everyday sentence like "How
fast will it go?" and find that there's no idiomatic way of saying it.

--maQ