tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 20 16:01:31 2002

Re: RE: QeD De'wI' ngermey

Am 19.11.2002 04:21:59, schrieb "Lee Herndon" <[email protected]>:

>Oddly, I hadn't really thought about this before.  I suppose I half-believe
>myself that the fans who appear at cons _dressed_ like Klingons, with makeup
>and masks, and seem to half-believe they _are_ Klingons, are a bit loony.
I love to do that! I don't believe that I _am_ a Klingon, but I like to act as one. That's one of the reasons I started to
learn klingon. The other reason was because it is such a different language (I think I would have started to learn it even
when I didn't know it was klingon)

>frustrated when I think of some simple, useful, everyday sentence like "How
>fast will it go?" and find that there's no idiomatic way of saying it.
As you have seen, there is one!
This is the interesting thing about this language: the challenge to find a way to express an idea - and: reH 'eb tu'lu'!!
Sometimes I imagine a Klingon having trouble to learn Federation Standard. There's many things that are "everyday"
sentences in Klingon, and they cannot be expressed in english just like that.

DaH jIQongnIS.

Quvar.
  ghojwI'pu'lI' tISaH.

Back to archive top level