tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 13 14:27:08 2002

Re: KLBC the effects of -Ha'

Russ Perry Jr. wrote:

>Quoting Quvar valer <[email protected]>:
> > ghItlh "Sebastian DuMars" <[email protected]>:
> >>  nep=lie       nepHa'= another expression for 'be true' or 'to
> >>                tell the truth"
>
> > I don't think so, because there is a word for "tell the truth": {vIt}
> > I'm not sure, but I'd say that here, the "wrongly"-meaning can also be
> > applied, describing a bad liar.

If {vIt} is "tell the truth", *{vItHa'} might mean "commit perjury" which
implies more than mere lying {nep}.

A similar idea is {lay'} "promise" vs. {lay'Ha'} "break one's word":

   not lay'Ha' tlhIngan
   No Klingon ever breaks his word. TKW

which might imply the pair {'Ip} "vow, swear" vs. *{'IpHa'} "break/violate
one's oath".

>Actually, given the whole "opposite" idea, perhaps it's something more
>like "recant", or "tell the truth (but only after lying initially)",
>that sort of thing.  For instance, it might be used to describe a witness
>or defendent in court who changes their story to tell the truth, finally.

A better example might be the verb {DIS} "confess", where *{DISHa'} would
be to "un-confess" or "recant one's confession".

> > >ghaj=have            ghajHa'=lose?
> > Here, we also have a word for "lose, misplace" {chIl}:
> >    {tlhonchaj chIljaj}
> >    "may they lose their nostrils"
>
>Perhaps, again going with "opposite", this could be something like "donate"
>or ...  can't think of the word, but when one "gives up their worldly
>possessions".  Or possibly "surrender" (sort of the opposite side of
>"confiscate"), like if you surrender a weapon.

A good example of opposite actions is the pair {nob} "give" vs. {nobHa'}
"give back, return" as in

   Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
   Don't trust Ferengi who give back money. TKW

--
Voragh                            "All the meaning is in the context."
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons           (Ilya Kabakov, Russian artist)

Back to archive top level