tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 11 12:23:44 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: noH (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, November 9, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:   noH
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     war
>
>Additional Notes:
>TKD Addendum.  KGT p. 46-47 adds "an individual or specific war."
>See also {veS}.

As used in canon:

   noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
   In war there is nothing more honorable than victory. TKW

   noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu'
   "Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory" TKW

Here's Okrand's discussion of {noH} in KGT (p.46-47):

   There are two nouns traditionally translated as "war": {veS} and {noH}.
   The first, {veS}, is "war" in the sense of "warfare", the concept or
   idea of war; {noH}, on the other hand, is used for an individual or
   specific war. When Azetbur, leader of the Klingon High Council at the
   time of the first negotiations for peace with the Federation, expressed
   concern that "war is obsolete," she said, "{notlh veS}", not "{notlh
   noH}"; she felt the idea or nature of warfare, not a specific war, was
   obsolete... In short, the nouns {veS} (war, warfare) and {vIq} (combat)
   and the verb {Qoj} ("wage war") all are used to refer to the ideas of
   warfare, combat, and making war, while the nouns {noH} (war) and may'
   (battle) and the verbs {ghob} (make war, do battle) and {Suv} (fight)
   are used when referring to specific, concrete instances of war, battle,
   and fighting. Thus it is possible to say {noH ghob} or {noH Suv", both
   meaning "He/she fights a war," ... but it is not normally acceptable to
   say {veS ghob} ("He/she fights a warfare").

For those interested, here are the canon examples of {veS}:

   notlh veS...'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
   War is obsolete...as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

   taghbej mu'qaD veS.
   Curse-warfare has definitely begun. PK

--
Voragh                            "All the meaning is in the context."
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons           (Ilya Kabakov, Russian artist)

Back to archive top level