tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 06 15:09:44 2002

RE: Frasier

Holtej:
>> I think that "Shoave" in the captions rhymes with "Shrove" (not
>> "shove", which would be a different vowel) and is supposed to
>> be a phonetic spelling of {Sov}.  Although I didn't hear it, if
>> some people heard an extra syllable following {Sov}, it may be
>> that Grammer paused slightly after the word, adding an "uh", or
>> was confused by the final /e/ in the transcription.
>>
>> If Okrand didn't write this - and it's pretty good (certainly
>> much better than anything we've seen the Trek writers do!) -
>> whoever did probably used existing vocabulary, and didn't try
>> inventing a new word *{Sov'a'} "wisdom".

DloraH:
> Invent a new word?
> Sov is a verb AND A NOUN.  (in the addendum)
>
> I'm sticking with Sov'a'.

While I see nothing wrong with <Sov'a'>, what I heard sounded more like an
extra vowel accidentally added to the end of a word than a purposeful
<-'a'>. Maybe Grammer slipped into an Italian accent for a second . . .

pagh

Back to archive top level