tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 04 17:01:59 2002

Re: HIja' and HISlaH

>Personally, I like to think that Valkris was not a native tlhIngan Hol
>speaker -- i.e. she grew up speaking one of the other "dialects" known >on
>the Homeworld -- and therefore has a pronounced, though fairly common,
>regional accent.  (Sort of a a Klingon analog to Chekov or the >Rozhenkos
>who, though proficient in Federation Standard, clearly did not grow up
>speaking it at home as attested by their accents.)

That would be consistent with the novelization, which states that Valkris is
a member of a subculture or race known as the Rumaiy (whereas the dominant
Klingon culture is Kumburanya).  Of course, the novelization also suggests
that tlhingan Hol is a lot more complex than Okrand produced, with its talk
of multiple "substrata", so I wouldn't put too much faith in it.