tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 09 04:05:14 2002

Re: pong chu' (KLBC)

ghItlh SuStel:

>Don't forget that you can't put a Type 7 suffix on the second verb of a
>Sentence As Object construction.  It shifts to the first verb.
You're right!

If someone follows the thread, this rule is explained section 6.2.5 "Sentences as Object":
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
{yaS qIppu' 'e' vIlegh} "I saw him/her hit the officers."

The two sentences here are:
(1) {yaS qIppu'} "He/she hit the officer;"
(2) {'e' vIlegh} "I see that" ({vIlegh} "I see it").
   The construction might equally well be translated as "I saw that he/she hit the officer." Note
that the verb in the second sentence, {vIlegh} "I see it," is neutra1 as to time. The past tense of
the translation "(I saw...)" comes from the verb in the first sentence, {qIppu'} "he/she hit
him/her" ({-pu'} "perfective"). In complex sentences of this type, the second verb never takes an
aspect suffix (section 4.2.7). [...]

{qama'pu' vIjonta' vIneH} "I wanted to capture prisoners."

In this final example, the first part is {qama'pu' vIjonta'} "I captured prisoners" [...]. Note once
again that the aspect marker (in this case, {-ta'} "accomplished") goes with the first verb only;
the second verb, {vIneH} "I want it," is neutral as to time. The past tense of the translation "(I
wanted...)" comes from the aspect marker on the first verb.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level