tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 30 08:10:35 2002

RE: KLBC: Greetings

va'!  {Looking back I realize that mistake.}

> We also have  'op "some, an unknown or unspecified quantity (n)".
>

> > *KLBC* vIghItlh jabbI'IDmeywIj.
> > I will mark my messages *KLBC*.
>
> Object-Verb-Subject.  You have /jabbI'IDmeywIj/ in the subject place.

Qu'vatlh!  {Again!  I see this now that I reread the sentence...}

> jabbI'IDmeywIjDaq KLBC vIghItlh.
>
> I think this might work also:
> jabbI'IDmeywIjvaD KLBC vIghItlh.

I can see that.  In fact it actually reads better.

> > tlhIngan Hol ghojwI' jIH.
> > I am a Klingon Language student.
>
> maj.
>

> > Samuv 'e' vIbel!
> > I am pleased to join you!
>
> ... vIbel  "I be pleased it"
> /bel/ is an intransitive verb; it doesn't take an object.
> For this we want to use the suffix -mo' "because"
>
> Samuvmo' jIbel!  "Because I joined you, I am pleased!"

Once again... I see my error as soon as I translate it back and reread it.
I'll proofread better in the future.

> > wa' ben *KLI* vImuv 'ej jabbI'Idmeyvam vIlaD 'ach jItambe'.
> > I joined the KLI one year ago and I have read thes messages
> but I have
> > not posted.
>
> /'ach jItambe'/ ?  "but I am not quiet", "but I do not substitute" ?
>
> Perhaps:  'ach jabbI'ID vIlabbe'  "but I did not transmit messages."

Yes!  I knew it didn't read well but nothing else came to mind.  This is
much better.

> > 'ach jItambe'ta'!
> > But I am quiet no more!
>
> "But I have been not quiet!"
>
> For this we will utilize the suffix -choH.
> jItambe'choH  "I become not quite"

Right.  Sometimes I have problem with certain suffixes and -choH and -mo'
are the two I most commonly forget to use.

> > DaH jIQumtaH vIneH.
> > Now I wish to keep communicating.
>
> maj
>

> > loQ tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'ej vIghItlh.
> > I speak and write a little Klingon.
>
> I think the /loQ/ should be put in both sentences.

Ok.  Probably the whole /loQ tlhIngan Hol/ as well.  No?

> > boQmeylIj vItlho'!
> > I thank you for your assistance!
>
> Do you thank our help, or do you thank US because we help
> you? choboQmo' qatlho'!

Yeah... that was it.  Just misusing prefixes... again I re-read it and
realized... it was that damned /-mo'/ again!

> > reH tlhIngan Hol!
> > Klingon Language forever!
>
> The klingon is just as incomplete as the english.  (but I
> think you know
> that)

I was intended to be a "clipped" statement.

> > HolwIj yIHIv!
> > Attack (criticize) my words!
>
> Your english uses "words", but your klingon uses /Hol/
> "language". mu'wIj tIHIv!  "Attack my words!"

I saw this just about the time I clicked "Send" but the brain was slower
than the finger clicking the mouse.  I should have used /mu'meywIj/ here.  I
almost posted a correction but I figured you'd catch it so I waited.

> You did good.  Even tho there were mistakes, I was able to
> understand what you wrote.

qatlho'.  choquvmoH.

Vlodnak

> DloraH, BG