tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 28 12:10:03 2002

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: Lexicographical issue...

qeyS wrote:
>Question: I'm writing a paper for a course on lexicography and the
>topic I've chosen is (rather daringly) which lexicographical
>conventions are/aren't applied to the TKD and which conventions
>still could be applied to the TKD in order to improve it (from a
>lexicographical perspective...)

Interesting topic.  It should provoke some interesting discussion.  I don't 
have much time now, but I want to correct one small error right away.

>BUT, in the Dictionary part of the KGT are some compound nouns
>which are written WITH a space: "Dargh HIvje' ": teapot. This, I do
>not understand. The question I address to the list is the following:

{Dargh HIvje'} is "teacup" - but it can also mean, if you're a Russian, a 
"tea glass".  A "teapot" is a {runpI'}.  Cf. _Klingon for the Galactic 

   "Tea may be made either in a teapot ({runpI'}) or directly in the teacup
   ({Dargh HIvje'}, or, if not a cup specifically designed for drinking tea,
    just {HIvje'})." (KGT p.96)

   "Some drinks are served in special containers, such as the {runpI'}
    (teapot) used in the making of {Dargh} (tea), and are then poured
    into the appropriate {HIvje'}." (KGT p.99)

   "Similarly, the common word for 'teacup' is {Dargh HIvje'} (literally,
    'tea drinking vessel'). Among the upper classes, the word {tu'lum} is
    used with some frequency, though, strictly speaking, this archaic word
    used to mean only a cup made of metal." (KGT p.42)

As to how {HIvje'} "drinking vessel" works in compounds:

   "A container from which drinks are consumed is a {HIvje'}. This word is
    used for any sort of drinking vessel: glass, cup, mug, stein, goblet,
    tumbler, and so on. If necessary, {HIvje'} can also be used to refer to
    drinking vessels normally not associated with Klingon culture--for example,
    crystal stemware. Since certain drinks are typically associated with 
    containers, saying the type of drink plus {HIvje'} indicates the type of
    cup or glass as well: {'Iw HIq HIvje'} ("bloodwine glass"), {qa'vIn HIvje'}
    ("coffee mug"), {baqghol HIvje'} ("bahgol cup"). Unless specified further,
    {HIq HIvje'} ("liquor glass") usually means a tankard or stein for beer or
    ale." (KGT p.98f)

Notice that "bloodwine" is written as one word in English, but as two words 
- or "with a space" if you prefer - {'Iw HIq} in Klingon.  Presumably, 
{HIq} "alcoholic beverage" works the same way as {HIvje'}.  Other types of 
{HIq} compounds are {cha'vatlh ben HIq} Two Century Old Ale, {ghargh HIq} 
worm wine, {reghuluS 'Iw HIq} Regulan bloodwine, {romuluS HIq} Romulan ale 
and {Sorya' HIq} Saurian brandy.

On the other hand, there is {'Iwghargh} "bloodworm" - written as one word, 
or "without a space", in both languages.  So far, the only type of 
bloodworm we know of is the Regulan bloodworm {reghuluS 'Iwghargh}.  I 
imagine what's going on here is that a {'Iwghargh} is sufficiently 
different from a regular {ghargh} "worm" to be written as one word.  To 
further specify which kind of bloodworm you're talking about, you prefix 
the place name: {reghuluS 'Iwghargh} "bloodworm of Regulus".

Now why this doesn't work with {HIq} vs. {'Iw HIq}, I've no idea.  Perhaps 
they're not seen as different enough as a type; i.e. you can't distinguish 
the two at a glance.

I'll close now with a classic Klingon toast:

   reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj!
   May you always find a bloodworm in your glass!

Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level