tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 21 16:43:48 2002

Re: [KLBC] SISpu'

>From: "Captain Krankor" <[email protected]>
>> It is interesting, though, that this is the one area that breaks the
>> fundamentally phonetic nature of the writing system; I don't know anyone
>> who, in actual practice, pronounces doubled consonants differently from
>> single ones.  Indeed, we have the conanical example of toDuj and toDDuj
>> being pronounced identicaly.

[I'll have to find and check my tape of ST3, but I don't think the words
are "identical" between the two takes of the scene.]

ja' SuStel:
>I do!  I pronounce doubled consonants longer than single consonants.  I can
>easily tell the difference, spoken, between /toDuj/ and /toDDuj/.

nIvqu' SuStel QIch, SuStel teS je.

I too pronounce them that way, or at least I strive to.  It's not only the
length of the consonant that changes; I tend to put much less stress on
open syllables like {to} than on closed ones like {toD}.

Just to drive home the point, I also *hear* SuStel-style doubled consonants
as being different from single ones.  There is a real distinction in
practice as well as in theory.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level