tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 14 10:57:55 2002

Re: help with "Floreat Majestas"

qe'San wrote:
> >>  nob    "give"
> >>  nobHa' "ungive", "give back"
> >>
> > I might be missing something here so forgive me for asking but wouldn't
> > [nobHa'],  be "take", "take back" as well as "ungive" rather than "give
> > back"?

{nobHa'} is glossed as "give back, return" in KGT.  We have an example from
TKW:

   Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
   Don't trust Ferengi who give back money.

You give money {Huch nob} to the Ferengi, then the Ferengi gives the money
back {Huch nobHa'} to you.  In this context, "refund money" would be
another translation of {Huch nobha'}:  "Don't trust Ferengi who give refunds".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level